Friday, June 01, 2007

Where do we come from?

It's always fascinating to discover one’s origins, and for me, this desire has translated into a passion for genealogy. After discovering that Philippe Amiot, my father’s paternal ancestors came with his family from around Soissons in the Aisne department (Picardy), I decided to contact the archives to see if more information could be found about them. Neither the Soissons municipal archives nor the church could provide anything before the French Revolution of 1789. I was referred to the “Cercle généalogique de l’Aisne” in Soissons, the “Société d’histoire et d’archéologie de Soissons” and the departmental archives in Laon for more help. I haven’t been able to reach the first two groups, but I am planning a road trip to Laon in late June, after the re-open from their annual vacation on June 18. I’ll keep you guys posted on what I found, or didn’t find…

Read more at http://mypage.iu.edu/~avillene/genealogy.htm

No comments: