Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Fun times

I enjoyed the last few days I met a lovely couple from Buigny last Thursday, who invited me to a tea dance on Sunday, given that I had not taken any appointments because of Mother's Day. So on Sunday, I went dancing to Michel Pruvot's accordion music with a bunch of energetic retired people. It was fun to interact in a relaxed setting and to try a few dance steps!

On Monday, I went to Amiens to meet with professor Jean-Michel Eloy. Given that my afternoon appointment canceled that morning, I found myself with a free afternoon, and decided to drive away to where ever the road would lead me. On the way, I encountered this sign, that reminded me that maybe I should have lunch too! (Where's the road to "Baguette"?!?).

I eventually ended up on the road to Péronne, where a War Memorial is dedicated to WW I. I also visited the Australian Memorial in Villers-Bretonneux, where fallen Canadian soldiers were also burried. Because few French-Canadians -- who were vehemently opposed to WW I -- participated in that war, French-Canadian names are rare in these memorials. Still, I took some time to reflect and wonder how so many lives can be lost in political conflicts...





I ended my visit to Amiens in St-Gratien with Laurent and his friend, Cécile. They showed me the totem unveiled sholtly after my visit to Picardy last summer, and once again, Laurent played along for my silly play on words in Contay. ("Contay" is pronounced like the French verb "conter", which means telling tales; Laurent is a story-teller. Okay, maybe it's not that funny after all... I guess you had to be there!)





Yesterday afternoon was "club picard" day at a local middle school in Feuquières. The kids' energy re,inded me of my good old days teaching in Montreal. I was quite impressed by the spontaneity with which they read a text in Picard and translated it into French. Thanks for the great welcome!

1 comment:

Traci Nagle said...

Hi there A-J,
Internet access is sporadic for me in Paris as well, since there is a cultural misunderstanding about what "internet access in the apartment" actually means. I love your pictures and the Brie/Ham directions reminded me that Tara & I haven't yet had lunch (its 4 pm now). Tara is very excited that we will be heading to Provence on Sunday, although she's a little confused about the train & directions--she asked today if we would be taking the subway to Provence, and whether we'd be going under the English Channel! Everyone here is pretty much assuming we'll be back next year, so maybe we'll get lucky and Sumit will be invited again...
A bientot, TCN