Tuesday, June 20, 2006

One week update




One week in France. Only two more to go until I go to Belgium, and my agenda is filling up. I managed to schedule interviews almost every day until July 4th. I have five so far, and the transcription process is underway. I doubt I’ll transcribe much while in France, but it’s a start. I met really interesting people so far, took a few pictures, and got a nice tan on my shoulders. Internet access is really sparse here, the cyber-site – where I can access the Net for free – is open two mornings and two afternoons a week, with intermittent closings due to storms damaging the network or due to days of training for the one employee. I drove down to Abbeville this morning and was able to find a few things I needed (among which a power adapter to replace the one that broke when I dropped it yesterday, a hairdryer to replace the one I can’t use because of a bad power conversion, and writable DVDs to replace the writable CDs that my interviews cannot fit on!). I’m loving it here, despite a few logistical irritants: the people a very warm and welcoming, the food is excellent, the landscape is colorful and quite pretty, and the air is fresh and crisp. I went to the public market here in St-Valery Sunday morning, spent Sunday afternoon at the Herbarium, a few blocks from my place, and learned about a vegetable dye called “la waide”, which is how indigo is called in Picard. It was really hot and sunny; I barely avoided getting sun-burned on my shoulders. Then, I went to the beach in Cayeux-sur-Mer, where the Defente (the people renting me the room) have a cabin by the shore. I met some of their friends, all very friendly, drank a drop of white rum and ate the best blood sausage ever. Things are going well so far. I’m eating well, staying on budget. I have a space heater now; I won’t be cold in the room again.

No comments: