Thursday, June 15, 2006

First few days in France


I got to Paris at 11:30am on the 13th, and drove up to Picardy straight from the airport. After getting chatting with the owners of the B&B a bit and getting settled in my room, I walked down my street to the local bakery to buy a baguette and the across the street to the “charcuterie” for pâté, ham and cheese. Although the weather was very warm and sunny when I got here yesterday afternoon, by dinner time, the rain had started and the temperature had dropped quite a bit. I had no trouble getting to sleep around 9pm, but found myself wide awake by 2am – probably the effect of jetlag – and decided to get some work done and watch some TV. I was eventually able to sleep again around 4am. Yesterday was my first full day in Picardy, and I am happy about the way it turned out. Woke up at 8am, and got some more groceries, and the breakfast at home (trying to save $$!). Later drove to Abbeville (the closest medium-sized “city”) for a meeting with the “Picardisants”, an association of speakers and writers of the local variety of Picard. I was pleased to finally put a face to names of people I had been told I should meet. I was given permission to record the readings (Julie, more data for you!), and I was then invited for coffee at the Vasseur’s after the meeting. Met really interesting people and started making appointments, starting tomorrow night. All is fine so far. One thing though: I wish the weather was nicer… I’m freezing in my room and can’t seem to get the heat to work, except in the bathroom.

1 comment:

Sueyiko Jannah said...

Hi there!juz passer-by..anyway nice shots esp in France...I love it.. Wonderful scenery..